Pages

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Proverbial Cheerios

I haven't been visiting my own blog lately. Avoiding it may be a better word. I've given myself a list of reasons why I don't have time to sit down and write an entry. It usually goes something like this:
- I'm too busy today
- I"m too tired tonight
- If I don't do laundry right now, I'll have to wear a swimming suit instead of underwear tomorrow
- My son has something stuck up his nose. I should probably take care of that...
And the list goes on and on.

All these excuses are valid enough. I am too busy. I am too tired. My son really does have something stuck in his nose. But none of these are what is keeping me away.
The real reason?
I haven’t had anything inspiring or helpful to say and it’s almost physically painful to see the date that I last posted get further and further away from today’s date.
A dry spell.
So, all you writers out there, help! What inspires you to write? How do you get your creative juices flowing? How do we un-stick our proverbial noses when they are full of proverbial cheerios? (By the way, real cheerios are what was stuck up my son’s nose. Proverbial ones would have been much easier to get out...)

6 comments:

  1. I read. Lots of different stuff. It usually helps me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go back and read what I have written. Looking backwards helps me look forwards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I eavesdrop (I'm so ashamed.) and sometimes make up stories about people I pass in the store, street, etc. I also ask to many questions.

    But then again, you read like a much more experienced writer then me.

    I really enjoy the quotes you find.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the eavesdropping idea. I am literally going to do that tomorrow. Awesome. And by the way, no one is a more amateur writer than I am. I'll show you my stack of rejection letters to prove it. :) Thanks for commenting!!!!! I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read anything I can on the internet about writing. That's how I found you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love always inspired me. I secretly want to write about my own life it seems to be always appealing since I dont tell anyone details of my life, I save it for the possibility of a book

    ReplyDelete